Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chapter 7 post

This chapter was very interesting to me because I at field experience I see teachers using a couple of these different during reading strategies.The chapter starts off talking about kids who 'just don't get it' and then talks about a teachers who tells the troubled student to be more like the students who are good readers. I think it would have been to show the troubled reader a good response to a given question to give them some ground work for what is expected, but to have the two smart kids lecture the bad reader would not have good results for the troubled student. It would leave the bad reader felling like he is less than his or her classmates and could lead to the smart kids developing an inflated ego. I know that the say something approach doesn't work, today at field experience a teacher had the students get in groups to read and discuss, they didn't even read, they talked girls and sports, I got my student on track though, and explained to him not to distracted by idle chit chat and shooting the shit, but to rather keep his eyes on the prize, and how an education is the key to success. He bought it. The telling students to go talk about a reading in small groups is putting too much responsibility on the student to think critically in many different ways about a text. The teacher should lead or at least start and guide the discussion to ensure that students are gaining valuable experiences. I think the rereading technique is very valuable to students, I had to learn this for Shakespeare and coming to college level classes. But the rereading depends a lot on whether a student is a dependent reader, I will always try to teach my students first off to become independent readers.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have to give students multiple opportunities to "try" the reading strategies... just because something doesn't work once doesn't mean it won't work ever. But you bring up a good point, too often teachers put students in groups and tell them to discuss without modeling what a good disussion looks like and setting expectations for discussions... I think alternatives to teacher led discussions can be powerful - but it requires more than just putting students in groups and telling them to talk.

    ReplyDelete