Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chapter 3 post

The most important concept in this chapter (to me, at least) is glossed over quickly on page 29, the idea that students need social and emotional confidence to be great readers and writers is an altruism in my life. I personally didn’t start comprehending literature until a teacher gave me confidence. My academic confidence has fluctuated over the years, and it seems that the more confident of a student I am the more I ‘get’ the material and the better I perform. Also the idea at the very beginning of the chapter is a worthwhile interaction to explore, it shouldn’t just be flattery or being kind when teachers are telling a student that they’re doing something well, they should be giving very specific complements that show the student what they are good at. When someone points out my flaws I usually try to fix my flaw, but when someone points out something I do well I excel at that task, and when a teacher gives a student a specific complement about something they do well that teacher is giving the student a fuel to perceiver through a tough text or get through any challenging academic task. The Instructional Plan for George was an amazing teaching tool that the author or someone created for a struggling reader and his parents, when I saw that table/chart I thought to myself “this is what teachers are for”, it perfectly points out what George can’t do and how the teacher and parents would jointly try to help him, this teaching tool is so strong because it acknowledged that learning isn’t solely dependent on the teacher and what happens in school, that in fact good students start at home and with their parents.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up a very important point about confidence. Students need to be confident and engaged to enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete