Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chapter 6 post

Out of the five different pre-reading strategies that chapter six covered I believe that using anticipation guides and that idea of getting students to really think hard about the issues and themes of a certain book before you even let them know they are going to be reading that certain book is the best way to mentally prepare and motivate students before they read a text. I don’t know if high school students would go as far as to physically make an anticipation guide, but covering the concept of an anticipation guide in a class discussion among mature students getting ready for college seems like a better way to make that student want to read the text. I also liked the plain old idea of activating prior knowledge, when I was reading the different strategies for activating prior knowledge I remembered how I was taught by language arts teachers this way. I did not like the idea of a K-W-L chart, first of going over what students have already learned seems redundant, and when a teacher asks a student what they want to learn that’s like putting the student behind the driver wheel, a teenage student is in need of guidance, the teacher should have clear sub objective and main objectives before they go into the classroom, when ever a teacher asked me what I want to learn from this book I would usually not care, the only valid part of the K-W-L chart is asking the student what they learned. Probable passages are a great tool for young students; it really puts the whole story in perspective and was quite helpful for me personally as a young student. If a teacher tried pulling a tea party in one of my classes in highs school we would have not talked about the text at all, we would have goofed off, the idea sounds very unappealing to me, you don’t give the student enough info at the beginning and then say go talk to other students who are just a s confused as you about some broad topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment