Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Foot: I'm So Totally Digitally Close to You

This article dealt with a very serious issue that is prevalent in young people culture that doesn't get any media attention. However, the way the author dealt with the emerging trend of constant news feeds and ambient awareness only represented one side of the issue. Cline recognized that peoples' Internet dependency could lead to people becoming anti social, but for the most part he put in quotes and arguments that said "its okay to be obsessed with twitter and facebook because every body else is doing it". He didn't mention the notion that peoples' need for quick Internet socializing stems from the fact that people are bored with their own life, so they go on twitter and facebook to supplement the lack of activity and spontaneity in their own lives. Also, I was offended that this article tried to justify those people in relationships who feel the need to text each other every minute, that isn't affection or love, that is compulsive behavior that occurs when someone is so brainwashed by thew media and what they see on the new dramas that they think it is normal and required behavior for couples to text every minute. People who try to say that news feeds from facebook and twitter updates create a more 'connected world' don't realize that these quick little messages with no meaning are deteriorating our society's definition of socializing, the Internet is creating superficial relationships among people who have never even met, and by doing so it is devaluing real face to face relationships. I will close with my favorite line from the article, said by the founder of Flickr " These technologies allow you to be much more broadly friendly, but you just spread yourself much more thinly over many more people".

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, thanks for posting!

    I don't agree with you at all with this statement you made, "Also, I was offended that this article tried to justify those people in relationships who feel the need to text each other every minute, that isn't affection or love, that is compulsive behavior that occurs when someone is so brainwashed by thew media and what they see on the new dramas that they think it is normal and required behavior for couples to text every minute." The reason I disagree is because my fiance and I are temporarily separated because he is in the military - texting is often are only means of communication because of our schedules. Texts throughout the day are a way for us to stay connected though we are miles apart. We, of course, use other technologies to speak to each other, but our texts are something we can save in our phone and look back on whenever we want. I have texts from the beginning of our relationship that mean so much to me! I respect your opinion, and realize you are hardly attacking me or anyone really, but before you point the finger at the constantly texting couple you should take into consideration that those text are a connection between the couple - and it can and does represent affection and love to that couple. I agree that common courtesy should be taken into consideration, but overall I believe couples should text each other and it is a way to show affection and share their love for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, I wasn't attacking your relationship, I have so much respect for military wives and how they sacrafice precious time with their husbands. It's just that I see so many people and close friends wasting away, aimlessly texting their spouses (who are not at a military base, like your spouse)These people, not you, create this false sense of going through the struggles of a long distance relationship by simply texting every five minutes when they will see their spouse that night. The main point I wanted to make was that I am sorry I offended you, and that I realize that some people are far away from each other and they find comfort in the occasioanl suprise text in the middle of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see where Mary is coming from with her comment and I also understand the overlying theme of your blog post. Social-networking causes new generations to become less aware of how to interact with others face to face, it also becomes a means for cyber bullying and other juvenile problems that will become pervasive in our classrooms. Going along with what Mary has said, I believe that our technology today allows us to be able to stay connected when communication avenues are limited, as well as time. I strongly believe that we have to learn how to balance how much time we spend in such interactions.

    ReplyDelete