Friday, February 25, 2011

Foot: Make-Up Assignment

So far in this class I have learned some interesting technology-based techniques for teaching adolescents. My favorite idea I have picked up has been the Multigenre autobiography; I think this project has a much higher chance for completion and success because students will want to complete this assignment. There are parts of Language arts that some students find as pointless and boring, therefore some students simply don't do the work or readings and can't participate in class, with this assignment full participation is almost guaranteed. However, 100% participation wont make this project a success, it is what the students take from the project that will determine if it is a success. The main point if this project is getting students to realize what 'texts' have influenced them over time, and how these 'texts' have shaped the person they are today (or whenever project is done). After watching all of the presentations in our class, the only thing I could think to improve this project would be a very strict time limit on presentations, so everyone gets an equal chance to display their autobiography. I wouldn't assign this in student teaching, just because I don't want to overstep my boundaries, but If and when I get my first teaching gig I will definitely use this project to get to know my students and to let them get to know me.

The other aspect of this class that I have been introduced to this semester is the idea of having the whole class connected by a social website. To be completely honest, I don't like the idea of meshing social network websites that students use for fun with school work. I think that having a class connected through the Internet is a great idea, but through a neutral system, like how we use vista at Kent. Online discussion boards allow for the shy to have a voice, and it also encourages the students to think about the course material outside of school. If i teach at a district where I know all students have Internet access, I will definitely set up a wiki (if I trust my students) or some type of web site where they can post their thoughts and reply to classmates. The notion that movies, music and shows are 'texts' has changed my thinking. I see now how these areas are all interconnected to one's overall outlook on the world. So as much as we stress literature as important texts, we ought to pay attention to the media our students take in as well. So far this class has given me some great ideas for practice.

1 comment:

  1. Sam, I completely agree with your perception of the multigenre autobiography. The time restrait is something that is very important and I do believe it should be made clear prior to the assignment being due. This assignment is a good activity that will interest students because they are able to add their creativity to a subject that can be considered boring. I also agrre with you when you say you do not agree with incorporating pleasure social networking sites with classroom social networking. I believe it would be hard to monitor student's attentiveness and make sure they were always doing with they are supposed to be doing. Lastly, I believe it would be hard depending on the grade-level to get parental approval for such activities. This is where I believe activities like online literature circles are key. It is a way for students to interact using technology, but it can be monitored.

    ReplyDelete