Thursday, March 31, 2011

Foot: Great Films and How to Teach Them

I went into this book thinking that I would most likely already know what the author had to say, I was wrong. Personally, I think Costanzo is putting too much emphasis on the importance on the act of students viewing movies, at least for the average high school English classroom. I honestly think there is a lot of chapters in here that I won't ever teach (unless I'm teaching some Special topic class dealing with film adaptation of literature). I had to sift through the first nine chapters to find theories and information that I will use when I teach. When I think back to the film adaptations of litterateur I viewed in high school I think of the modern day version of Romeo & Juliet with leo, Hamlet with Kenneth Branagh, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the Simpson's adaptations of literature, and of course To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck as Atticus ( I have always wanted to name my children after characters from literature, and Atticus is at the top of list for a boy). From skimming through the upcoming chapters I see Costanzo and I have similar taste in media, but it would be naive to think it is just Costanzo's own personal opinion of these movies that is the reason they were selected for this book. These movies were selected because they are the bet film adaptions of litterateur created to date, these movies have transcended time and are still played on the television today, and will be watched for generations to come, hopefully. Personally i only found the theories and information fro chapters 1 and 7-9 to be 'real' concepts that I will use in the classroom, but I am really looking forward to seeing how Costanzo would approach each of these 14 classics in the coming chapters. Check out this list of 100 best film adaptations This is my favorite scene in my favorite film adaption of a book

No comments:

Post a Comment